OYENAKPARA I (OBANIGHENREN) DOM ANTONIO DOMINGO Son of Olu Atuwatse I. Has a Portuguese mother named Magheghoeye by the Itsekiris. This was the first time an Olu whose mother is a foreigner ascended the great throne of Warri Kingdom. After the demise of his father (Atuwatse I), he traveled to Portugal in preparation for the throne and came back with a silver and diamond crowns. The diamond was meant for the Queen but woman does not reign in the Kingdom. He was credited to be the Nigerian to have written the oldest surviving letter to the Pope in Portugal, on the 20th day of November, 1652 AD, asking for Priests to be sent to his Kingdom. He efforts to Christianize the Itsekiri people proved abortive.
A UNIQUE PEOPLE
- Fun, renewed unity as Itsekiri celebrate the late Olu of WarriNovember 22, 2015
- ALE-JEFUN – Nenuwa Descendants prepare for the burial ceremonyNovember 18, 2015
- Why Itsekiri Group Chose Buhari Over JonathanNovember 17, 2015
- Itsekiri Group Has A Message For BuhariNovember 17, 2015
- Burial of the demised Olu of warri begins on the 19thNovember 17, 2015